The Family Homes on Reserves and Matrimonial Interests or Rights Act has been identified as one of the laws to be reviewed under the Review of Laws commitment included in the Ministers of INAC and Justice Mandate Letter; “Undertake, with advice from the Minister of Justice, in full partnership and consultation with the First Nations, Inuit and the Metis Nation, a review of laws, policies and operational practices to ensure that the Crown is fully executing its consultation and accommodation obligations, in accordance with its constitutional and international human rights obligations, including Aboriginal and Treaty Rights”.
To support INAC’s engagement objectives, NALMA and the COEMRP are assisting with the delivery of four targeted engagement sessions. Invitations are being sent to First Nations and their relevant representatives. This targeted engagement is intended for:
- Land Managers or Councillors addressing Matrimonial Real Property;
- Band Administrators or other staff who are responsible for Matrimonial Real Property;
- Communities who have developed community-specific Matrimonial Real Property Law;
- and representatives from technical Indigenous organizations.
These engagement sessions will focus on:
- Responding to technical amendments to the legislation identified by INAC, the Centre of Excellence, and other stakeholders;
- Identifying new features and measures that could be added to the Act and its implementation.
This is an opportunity for First Nations to share experiences and collaboratively develop solutions to assess and improve the Family Homes on Reserves and Matrimonial Interests or Rights Act.
There are three ways to participate:
- In Person: Attend a regional engagement session (by invitation). To register and for more information click the link below to the session for your province:
- Online: Read the Discussion Guide and email your response and feedback to email@example.com
- By Mail: Send your responses and feedback to:
Dorothy Laplante, Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
Community Lands Development Directorate
Les Terrasses de la Chaudière
10 Wellington St, 17TH Floor
Gatineau, Quebec, K1A 0H4